Creighton University’s Critical Care Paramedic course will prepare you to deliver outstanding advanced critical care when moving patients from one health care facility to another via ground or air ambulance or when responding directly to the scene of a medical or trauma event. You will learn from experienced critical care providers who will teach you how to perform patient assessments and provide invasive out-of-hospital care. You will receive instruction in both classroom and clinical settings. The course is also available online, however, you must attend the two-day on-campus invasive skills session and complete a clinical internship.
The course covers important topics including:
- Critical care field and hospital environments
- Surgical airways
- Ventilators, CPAP/BiPAP
- Thoracostomy and chest drainage maintenance
- Central venous access devices
- Laboratory values interpretation
- 12-lead ECG interpretation
- Monitoring and maintaining IABP
- Hemodynamic monitoring
- Flight physiology
- Expanded pharmacologic formulary
Instead of receiving all of the course information at once, Creighton’s online course is the only one of its kind that makes sure you understand and can apply what you are learning. You will receive immediate feedback from critical care transport professionals. Open the Online Learning tab below to learn more.
You will put into practice what you have learned in the classroom through a required two-day, on-campus invasive skills session. You will also be required to complete 36 hours of clinical rotation in an ICU/CCU setting. Creighton is committed to helping you gain access to clinical opportunities that are as convenient as possible. However, we cannot guarantee placement with a particular agency or in a particular location. If you live outside of the United States, please contact us to explore your internship options.
Registration is open for:
- January 13 – May 7, 2021 Online only (Clinical Dates: March 25-26) *App deadline 12/21/20
- March 10 – June 25, 2021 Online only (Clinical Dates: May 13-14) *App deadline 02/15/21
- April 28 – August 14, 2021 Online only (Clinical Dates: July 1-2) *App deadline 04/05/21
- June 23 – October 8, 2021 Online only (Clinical Dates: Aug 26-27) *App deadline 05/31/21
- August 18 – December 10, 2021 Online only (Clinical Dates: October 21-22) *App deadline 07/26/21
- August 18 – December 10, 2021 On-Campus only (Tuesdays 1:00-5:00PM) *App deadline 07/26/21
- October 6, 2021 – February 4, 2022 Online only (Clinical Dates: December 16-17) *App deadline 09/13/21
To enroll in Creighton’s Critical Care Paramedic course, you must be a current paramedic or registered nurse; Healthcare Provider BLS and ACLS; and, minimum of one year of experience as a paramedic or nurse. Trauma course completion (PHTLS, ITLS, TNCC or TNATC), pediatric course completion (PALS, NRP, PEPP, PPC, or ENPC), and a medical life support course (AMLS) are all strongly recommended.
In addition to the application you must supply:
- Copy of paramedic course transcripts
- Copy of paramedic certification/licensure from all jurisdictions
- Copy of ACLS and BLS certificates (required) and PHTLS or ITLS, AMLS, PALS or PEPP (as applicable)
- Copy of driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID
- Contact information for three references
Documents will be directly uploaded through application portal.
You must comply with the immunization requirements for Creighton Health Sciences students. Instructions for submitting immunization information will be provided in your acceptance materials. Learn more.
You are required to complete a certified background check before you complete any clinical hours for the course. Information about this procedure will be sent to you with your acceptance letter. You are responsible for the cost, which varies based on information submitted.
Here is a list of estimated costs associated with this course:
- Tuition: $1,095*
- $200 deposit due upon admission decision
- Textbook: $225
- Uniform Shirts $50 - Click here to order your uniform.
- Immunization: Cost varies
- Background check: Cost varies
- Travel, housing and meal expenses for on-campus skills session
*This is the non-credit cost. Students taking this course for college credit are billed at the current credit hour rate. The cost of tuition is subject to change.
Creighton is a pioneer in Critical Care Paramedic course delivery. We ensure you understand and can apply what you are learning before you move on. You will receive immediate feedback from critical care transport professionals. In addition to your online studies, you will be required to attend a two-day invasive skills session on the Creighton campus and complete 36 hours of clinical rotation in an ICU/CCU environment.
To succeed in this online course, you should plan to commit 8-20 hours of independent online study each week.
To enroll in this course, you must have access to a computer and a reliable high-speed Internet connection. Learn more about technology requirements for online learning at Creighton.
You will be assigned a Creighton email account to use while you are enrolled in this course. All electronic correspondence will be sent through your Creighton account.
When you successfully complete the Critical Care Paramedic course, you will receive a certificate of completion along with 108 hours of continuing education credit. You will also be prepared for the Certified Critical Care Paramedic (CCP-C®) and Certified Flight Paramedic (FP-C®) Exams administered by the International Board of Specialty Certifications (IBSC), formerly the Board for Critical Care Transport Paramedic Certification (BCCTPC®).
Please Note: The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services does not recognize or credential critical care paramedics. Individual states may offer an endorsement to function as a critical care paramedic. One option to formal credentialing is the certified critical care paramedic exam or certified flight paramedic exam both administered by the International Board of Specialty Certifications (IBSC). Creighton faculty and staff will work with states and regulatory agencies that do recognize CCP for them to recognize our course and to contact us with questions.